Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas and Radiation?

It is really funny. Everyone has so many things and events that occur in this wonderful Christmas season. We all have to create the plan that will allow us to complete all those things that standout in this extrordinary time. We all must find the gifts, decide what to get, deck the halls, meet your family, see your friends, make the Christmas treats, drive here and there, wrap the presents, and all those other things that are involved in this season. Then we are able to cross them off one at a time as we flop on the couch with a loud "whew." Another one done. And then Christmas day finally arrives. We got to feel the warmth as our family and friends open that special gift ands share all those wonderful emotional moments together with us. Whew! Totally exciting and yet finally over. Well for me it is a little bit different. I still have all these Christmas issues just like everyone else, but I got to add some other busy items and some simple concerns. The radiation and the chemotherapy getting ready to start in just a few days has created many other difficult moments and thoughts only because I have no previous experience or info on how this is going to work or react with me. It was today that I got to realize that Christmas is only nine days away and my part B treatment is only three days away. It seems very hard sometimes to combine these two things that separately would be the item that overwhelms every moment for the entire time. I know that I need this part B treatment just as strong as I love the emotion and smile that comes from a family member when you deliver that perfect gift. I believe that this fear will probably settle down once I get started, but this pre-start waiting is hard for everyone that is starting something new. A new school, a new job, a new relationship are all just like this for me. That thing you believe will be wonderful, but the success of that opportunity is currently unknown.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be strong. I don't know much about radiation, but my Mom is going through chemo and there are good days and bad days. Just remember that every day is new and different. Be strong, my thoughts are with you. Try to think positive! Cindy Fojo

Anonymous said...

Just take one day at a time. Don't overdue anything, as you have tomorrow to get that done. IS anything really as important as your recovery? No, not hardly. The rest can wait. Rest when you need to, laugh whenever you can, pray during those times when everything seems black--and when things don't seem so bad. As you already are doing, surround yourself with support and those whom you love and you are surrounded in thoughts and prayers by those who cannot be with you, except in spirit. As you said, it is an unknown journey, and just like any journey, you don't know what the next step will be; you don't know what reactions you might have. But, just like when you had to go into a fire, you just do it. It is there and must be done. And this is a huge fire that you are battling and that is raging inside of you. And just as you fight those fires, you fight, and when you are too tired to fight, you fight some more. Visualize those cancer cells, just as you visualize that fire behind the walls, and as you conquered those flames, you will conquer these cells. Thank God that you are a young, vibrant, healthy man who has had to overcome other obstacles, and have succeeded, just as you intend to succeed here. You have a whole team waiting to help, praying for you, and you have the Heavenly Host who will help you, you just need to ask. As the Apostle Paul said when he was in his jail cell: Learn to be content in all circumstances ...You can do anything in Christ who strengthens you.
You and your family are in my prayers daily--
Luanne

Vicki Crabtree said...

As I read your story I too can relate! I am just 5 hours out from my 5th radiation treatment for breast cancer. I am a teacher in the TVUSD and a warrior against cancer. I have struggled with trying to be who I was "before cancer" and who I am now "living with cancer!" I got through 4 months of chemo and a surgery telling myself this is just a "speedbump" in my life. It was just last week that I let myself accept that this was a "brick wall" and that I must accept that I am a different person than I was 6 months ago before hearing "it is cancer." Let me repeat the word "different"....in fact I am bigger, better, and blessed! If I can tell you anything I have learned from this experience it is that I may have cancer but cancer doesn't have me! I pray for your bright healthy future. May you cherish your loved ones and enjoy the sunshine of every day! Vicki Crabtree

Anonymous said...

Eric, the brotherhood & sisterhood of the fire service has long-reaching hands... Jeremy just called me let me know what you were going through. Needless to say, my heart goes out to you, Haley, and your family. Just wanted to let you know I am praying for you, I hope you are able to stay strong, fight the fight and once again be back at work doing what you love so much. My thoughts are with you, take care...