Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Final Breath

Ok I am going to write several blog's in a row each with a different piece of the last two weeks....that is right it has been two weeks since Eric's passing...I continue to wait for him to come home from work.
This blog is going to be about his final breath and the experience that came with that breath. So if you don't want to know than please stop reading and move onto the next blog, otherwise here it is.

As you all know Eric had a difficult time on the 26th and he started to take morphine and an anti-anxiety medicine. It took about 12 hours for him to settle down and for the medicine to take effect. Once the medicine took hold other than the breathing he was very peaceful. Eric had decided a few week before all this that his time here on earth was over and he was ready to move on and he was a little irritated that he was still here. On Christmas morning he woke up and said "why and I still here? " and "what is he waiting for?" The answer was of course...it is not your time yet. I believe that this acceptance and readiness to move to eternity was what made this transition so peaceful and easy for him. Ok so Eric was on oxygen since 3pm on the 27th and I am not sure it was helpful for him but it made us all feel very good. It was a very busy day with lots of family and friends over visiting Eric and trying to make my birthday somewhat ok. It settled down about 9:30 or so and we were all getting ready for bed. My mom, friend Christina, Eric's Uncle Phil, mother and our friend Steve from the fire department were here to support us. I blogged about 10ish or so and was tucking Hunter into bed. Eric's mom and I were standing next to Eric I was at the foot of the bed and Dianna was holding his hand. Steve was also in the room, Hunter had gotton up to go to the rest room. Everyone else was out of the room. Dianna looked at me and said I think he is not breathing.....I walked to his side and he took one last big breath and then just stopped breathing. Steve stepped over and looked for a pulse and then confirmed what we already knew. Eric was gone. Hunter came out of the bathroom and I had him come over to hug Eric and told him that daddy had passed. There were some tears from all but I think shock was the main emotion. Hunter and I sat next to Eric and held his hand and the song Edelweiss (The sound of Music) came on the TV. This was my grandfather, who passed away 30 years ago, favorite song. It was in a way comforting.....it was a sign that Eric was in heaven with my grandfather. Anyhow as I said before it was peaceful for Eric and it really did seem that he moved on without a fight. The family and friends were notified and so was the fire Department. Engine 13 came to the house and a flag ceremony was completed. The flag ceremony was just beautiful and so natural. It is exactly has it should have been. I have video and pictures but I am not sure it should be posted. So for now it will just stay private.

I hope this answers a few questions on his final breath......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Hallie, what a beautiful picture you painted! Eric exhaled one final time on earth, then inhaled in heaven! Only the God of the universe could orchestrate such a thing! We continue to pray that the Holy Spirit comforts you and Hunter while you miss your sweet hubby/daddy.

With love,

The Giovannetti Family

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful wife and son.......
I have learned so much from your blogs....
It has given me an inter peace....
Dianna is so very proud of her family.......
Love and peace to all.......Thanks for sharing Eric's journey...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your Most private moments. Your words tell a beautiful, peaceful tale of a transition into a glorious eternity. You are in our thoughts and prayers
The Herbrandson Family

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that it was peaceful for you. I know Eric was ready and that made it easier. Thank you for posting your feelings. I am sending you hugs and prayer that every day you remember that even this day is a gift.