Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Celebration of Life.....







We celebrated Eric's Life on Wednesday, January 6th 2010. It was by all accounts the most beautiful celebration one could ever hope for and certainly more than Eric would have ever expected. For those of you who were there I know you were as amazed as I was, the love and support was simply over whelming. It would have made a simple man like Eric proud. I am not sure how to explain everything but for those of you who weren't able to make it I will do my best. At about 10:15 the final call for Eric Botkin went over the loud speaker at station 1 and that is when it started. Hunter, Eric and myself headed down the street in the engine that Eric had spent so much time on. I am sure it was all to familiar to him but for Hunter and I it was a first and a bit overwhelming. We were driven my Eric's engineer Garrett and his Captain was in the Captain seat. As we drove down the street following the big pipe players and being followed by many others, people were on the street taking pictures and watching. I am sure they were wondering who was this person? We made it down the street to a sea of blue saluting the engine. It was simple amazing. After a short time we headed into the church to begin the service. The mass was more than I could of hoped for and I am so glad that it provided the comfort that I needed during this difficult time. Captain Markin was by my side each and every moment and of course Hunter. The songs were the hardest for me not only because they are my favorite but also because they were the songs at our wedding. The mass was what was to be expected but at the end was when the fire department did their part. Hunter and I received the medals, the flag and Hunter was given a fire helmet made just for him. The Final bell was rung, Taps was played and of course Amazing Grace was played on the bag pipes. It was simple amazing and I was at that very moment so proud to be the wife of a fire fighter......to a man who eventually gave his life to help others. When the service ended we headed to the reception. Eric's engine was in front followed by at least 35 others, it was a beautiful day and a beautiful sight to see. I am sure I have not given justice to the bigness of the event but hopefully the pictures can do a little of it for me.

You can also see the write up in the Press Enterprise by following this link.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so wonderful how you put it into words you are a wonderful person to share that thank you.

Krista Cooper

Wendy said...

What a beautiful send off. I got chills reading your account. Our choir performed songs at Chris's funeral that were also performed at our wedding. Difficult but comforting. I am thinking about you....Wendy

Berkeley and Christy Northrop said...

Hallie, we still check for postings daily - as it is not over. Thank you for continuing when you can. I admire the strength you have shown throughout it all. You should be proud of all that has been created through the love that was shared between you and Eric. With loving thoughts...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your day. I would have love to be there. I am glad your were happy with how it all turned out. I am still here if you need someone to talk to. Thank you Hallie for continuing to explain and post :-) Cindy

Lyn Sherman said...

WOW! It was an ingredible send off that I am so proud and honored to have been in attendance to share. The picture of Hunter holding the flag is awesome! Hallie you are one of the stongest woman I know. You and Hunter will always be in my prayers. Your journey is still not over and I pray the Lord will give you continued strength to move forward to this next chapter in your life.
Peace, Love & HUGS, Lyn Sherman