Thursday, August 20, 2009

My White Cells are What?

www.helpericbotkin.com

Hey Everyone! Well today was the first time to go and check how the new chemo was working on me. I must tell you that having another new chemo medicine is not an exciting time. I mean here you are taking another medicine to stop the cancer in your brain from continuing to grow and it can be a difficult challenge. So many new opportunities to have no idea how your body is going to handle this new stuff. And now here I am again. Waiting to see if this thing is doing the right work and still not knowing if is doing something right. Well I am happy to share with all of you that my current chemo is going correctly. Now it is hard to believe that statement since I am pretty much feeling great with this new medicine. It is also easy to remember that I was with chemos that were very difficult for me to just complete. So here is what I was told. 1. My white blood was less than is should be, but it was not yet at a dangerous number. 2. My platelets had been reduced also but was not at a dangerous level either. Now I was told that over the next week before the next test my numbers could continue to drop and that I needed to work to keep them from dropping too low (resting, drinking plenty of water, ect). Yea!! Now I am pretty happy as I really had no idea of what to expect in this new chemo medicine. I am feeling pretty good as I start on week 4 since I took the chemo pill.

Hallie started back to work with all of her standard fun and almost after a week she seems pretty calm and stress free. I will get back to you with more as the year progresses. Hunter is getting ready to start playing soccer again and enjoying his way into the 5th grade. Me, I'm just looking for another quiet day. I know they are on there way soon.

Lastly, I wanted to thank a very special person who I share a unique bond with and who has been there for me before. When someone takes your hand and helps give you strength, love and encouragement, I just wanted to say Thank You!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work! Drink you water and rest. Do what the doctors tell you to do :-) I am glad everyone had an ok transition back to schedules. Have a great day and continue to feel great! Think positive and think higher white cell count :-) Cindy F

Anonymous said...

Prayers are still coming your way my friend. Heck, we all need em don't we? But, you get a couple of extra ones :) Go Tigers!
The "Sommer" family.