Thursday, December 11, 2008

Boys and Girls, Ladies and Gentelmen! Welcome to the circus.

Well everyone, it is great to say hello to everyone this evening. I know that once I share some interesting info you will say, "Oh my God". I assume that some will say, "Oh My God" and a few of you will even unleash a quiet," Oh Shit", but I want you all to know that however it turns out for me everything will be ok. Let me start with some of the information from our meeting on Tuesday with the doctors to discuss and ask questions about starting this new study and learning about the rules and what it means to me. We got together with two different doctors , the neruo surgeon who looked at the swelling to the side of my head and the oncologist who was giving me info on the new medication and what to expect. To make it easy, the doctor told me to wrap some gauze stuff around my head to keep pressure on the side and that should help the fluid go away. I said ok and wore it for 2 days and 2 nights before returning today, Thursday. The interesting part of all of this is when he asked if I was vomiting, pain, fever, chills, or anything on Tuesday the answer was easy, it was NO. The other doctor went over the two new medications one I am very familiar with, Temador, and the super new unknown med called BIBW 2992 or something like that. So we went home and waited to get ready for our Thursday start of these great medicines. We arrived at 8:00 this morning, had to get my blood tested to see if it was good for me to be in the program, even though I had just had the same testing two days ago, but still doing what needs to be done. We officially started at 10, I took the pill and had my blood drawn at 10:30, 11, 11:30, 12, 1, 2, 4, and 6. The next events are just when things went wrong. First I couldn't eat anything until 11:00, I finally got some food and ate. I complained of a head pain so they gave me some Tylenol. I was just waiting my time until the next blood draw and I had chills and then around 2pm I threw up multiple times, I was very cold as I laid in the bed, I needed another Tylenol because now I had a fever! Well we thought it was either the medicine or maybe the flu because we have all been feeling a little under the weather this week. At 4pm we decided to go eat some dinner. I was hungry and we did have 2 hours until the next blood draw. While we sat at the worlds most exclusive McDonald's Hallie said that she could see the swollen side moving as my powerful jaw was chewing. While I thought that was pretty funny, when we thought back to Tuesday and the questions about fever, chills and throwing up. Well now the answer is yes!! When we came back and asked the people to contact our doctor just to give him some new information. He thought through many opportunities and decide that he would drain the extra fluid and run some special test to see if it is an infection. If it is bad, then we have a whole lot of things to do (surgery), or maybe it is ok and I get to keep going with the new miracle stuff. Let me just tell you that as he sticks a needle into your head, it hurt!. He was successful at pulling out 40cc from my head and while it was very painful, I am glad that I had the opportunity to get it eliminated. Anyhow we should know some info by 10am on Friday. If you would like to call you may on my phone but don't try Hallie as her phone is dead. Oh did I mention that we are getting to spend the night at the hospital. Hallie and I were hoping for a date night but this was not what we had planned! Anyhow this is the new and exciting info on me. FUN STUFF!!

No comments: