Monday, February 4, 2008

4 More Days!

Well the radiation and chemo has taken it's toll on Eric and we are counting down the days till it's done. The radiation was kicked up a notch or two last Thursday and this has just zapped all the energy out of Eric and the chemo has played havoc on his intestinal system. Hopefully after Friday his body can start to get back to normal. Eric has had such a wonderful attitude during this whole ordeal with his positive thoughts, sense of humor and faith in God it has made it easier for everyone to deal with the situation. For me the hardest time is when Eric is not feeling well, his attitude has been the strength that everyone has needed especially me. When he is not feeling well it reminds me of the situation and the fight that he is fighting. It is the hardest time to be strong. I continue to look to God for his strength and hope that I can be strong enough for the both of us at least for a while.

We are all excited for this Friday which will be Eric's last radiation appt. I know some needed R&R is just around the corner. Eric will have about 30 days to recover from the chemo before he has to take it again. He is most excited to get the metallic taste out of his mouth so that he can have a beer and I am sure he will be having more than one. After the 30 days he will take the chemo for 5 days and be off for 23 days. The chemo will be a higher dose so I am sure he will not be feeling well. This will last for a while and the doctor will decide what happens next based on the MRI's. Most everyone wants to know when he will get another MRI. Well they won't take another one until around the 1st of April. He has to heal from the radiation before they take a picture this way they don't get a bad reading and we have to worry for a month until the next MRI. I hope that this gives everyone a general idea of what is happening and what the future has in store.

I also what to thank all of the drivers who have given of their time to help Eric get to his appt's. It has made it possible for me to go to work and Eric has had a chance to socialize with his fellow fire fighters. So THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Hallie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there bud, two more to go after today
Tymebaum

Anonymous said...

Hey! We are constantly thinking of you guys and Eric is in our prayers. We miss you!!
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

You're in our prayers, Eric. Bill just told me of this blog so I can see how you're doing. I was flabbergasted when I first heard of your ordeal from Tim.
Part of our title is FIGHTER, and that's what we do best. FIGHT. We fight whatever needs defeating.
You take care, Eric. Fight On Player!

Eddie Clifford
FireFighter
CALFIRE Beaumont Sta 66

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

I thought (and prayed) about you all day today (Friday). I'm glad this round is over. It was an absolute privilege driving you to your appt last week. Keep the faith. Todd

Anonymous said...

I miss you here at 13's...aint the same without you..Come back soon.
Ron

Anonymous said...

hi eric. you don't know me, but i sat next to your mom this afternoon on a flight from ontario to phoenix. somehow, i think it was the sovereignty of God that put us together, because out of all the overhead bins on the plane that were full, the one above mine wasn't. your mom was the last person on our flight because her later flight was canceled. we flew southwest, which has open seating and i was in about the 20th row back. i also happened to be reading a book my john macarthur entitled, "our awesome God." so your mom made a comment about how that was a great book and so started a fine conversation. how cool is that?

long story short, hearing from your mom and reading about your situation in this blog has been a real encouragement to me. your positive attitude and trust in the Lord is overwhelmingly evident. =) i've added you to my prayer list and will pull for you and your family in prayer: that this "thorn in your flesh" (2 cor 7-10) would continue to sanctify you, that you'd continue to trust in the Lord's plans all the more through this trial. He is good.

Don

Anonymous said...

hi again eric,

i spoke to your mom briefly about clinical trials. i'm no expert on them because i work mostly in the medical device field and i'm relatively new to the field (your mom thought i was still in school!). anyhow, wanted to give you a heads up about a couple of online resources. the first is a registry of all the ongoing clinical trials in the US at this time if you were interested in pursuing any of these.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=glioblastoma

http://www.centerwatch.com is also a great resource for looking for trials.

calling and asking about a trial does not obligate you to join in on it. the coordinator (likely a research nurse) who answers the phone can give you the entire run down of what they're doing. i would highly recommend discussing it with your doctors from city of hope before delving into any trial to make sure it is in your best interest to participate. read the informed consent carefully but don't be too overwhelmed by the potential risks, since studies are required by FDA regulations to disclose all of the potential risks that a potential subject may have (some of which very rarely happen but sound really horrible).

cheers,

Don

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you again. Keep that positive attitude and visualizations going. Some days you may have to just go day by day, even hour by hour, but with God carrying you, you can make it. Like so many people, I wonder why you are having to go through this, and I haven't gotten any answers from God, except, it is My plan, --for I know the plans I have for you, plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11). Paul's letter to the Phillipians has some wonderful verses of hope and encouragement--especially Ch.
4.
You all continue to be in my prayers.
Hallie--I miss seeing and talking with you. My room is always open for you, and my phone line is always clear---
Love,
Luanne

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting info. I am sure all of this is trying. I know it is. We are still thinking of you guys and are keeping our fingers crossed. I just know that the chemo and ratiation are doing its job! Keep your chin up! Every day is a new one! :-) Cindy Fojo