Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Marriage

Sunday at church a couple renewed their wedding vows. This of course got me thinking about marriage and the vows we take. The union of marriage is sacred and all to often after a few years we forget what we said on that beautiful day. Lets take a look at those vows.

I, (Bride/Groom), take you (Groom/Bride), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.

As I sit here and blog I can say that Eric and I lived out each and every vow. I wish I could say this is exciting but obviously the death do us part things really stinks. We had our ups and downs especially after Hunter was born..... Eric gave me the talk at Home Depot (most people don't have life altering talks at the hardware store). We had times that were financially tough, in fact we were told by a church psychologist that our marriage would never make it because we had no money. I just love proving people wrong. I mean don't get me wrong having good paying jobs does make things a whole lot easier. We both had our times of being sick and healthy, we were pretty lucky because neither of us had many illnesses in our life. It was not until the brain cancer that we really had to deal with sickness. As the wife of a terminally ill husband I was honored to be able to take care of Eric. I could not imagine anyone else taking care of him. I only wish I could have done it for many more years. Of course we loved and cherished each other, Eric took amazingly good care of me. I am so lucky to have had a love like ours, many people never experience that kind of love but I am happy to say I did. I can honestly say Eric was the perfect husband. People often said we had a fairy tale love, one you only see in movies. All this being said and I did tell Eric this before he passed, even as awful as it is we actually got to live everyone of our vows. The good the bad......the happy the sad.....the sickness and health.....the death do us part.

As I noted before people often take for granted there vows, what it means to be a wife or husband. It takes work to be in a fairy tale, it does not come easily. I wish that everyone could have what I had with Eric. Don't let time go by and life stuff get in the way of your marriage. Take time to enjoy your spouse, make time for each other, relive your love each and everyday. From my own experience time is so precious and I can say with out any regrets that Eric and I had the perfect marriage and even though he his not physically here our love with last a life time. This is my wish for all of you.

9 comments:

daune abadie said...

Hallie,
Thank you for the gentle reminder to cherish every moment, to be the spouse that we are meant to be, to live our vows, and to love with all of our heart! You continue to touch many through your words....thank you! Our prayers continue for you and Hunter!
Daune Abadie and family

Anonymous said...

Awesome, powerful post.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Hallie...that was beautiful!

Mike Seldon said...

You have a wonderful gift in the time that you had with Eric, and it's really a fantastic thing that you wish that for all of us. Julianna and I are working hard everyday to capture that fairy tale and can only hope to achieve what you did in our time together.

Mike Seldon said...

P.S. - our 18th wedding anniversary is coming up on the 22nd of this month!

Wendy said...

Well said, Hallie. I never really had the chance to care for Chris because everything happened so fast. But I know I would have without question...even with a toddler and a newborn.

Have been thinking about you. Sending you healing thoughts.

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hallie:

That was so beautiful said. Ironically, I had this horrible day today at work and your words reminded me about what is truly important. Today I will forget about all the stuff that doesn't matter and focus on the precious stuff that does.

Take care,

Liz Miller

Anonymous said...

Thanks Hallie. Your words are exactly what I need.
Much love
LCS

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words of wisdom, we truly do need to reminded every day to appreciate our loved ones even when they don't make us so happy at times. It's so easy to take for granted as I know I have a billion times. I'm printing out your blog to use as a reminder every day. Thank you for posting.