Monday, October 4, 2010

Who am I?

Each and every one of has a title, something that defines who we are or what we do. Most of have many title's mom, sister, teacher, wife, vegan, homemaker and so on. It is the title that defines who we are or what we do. During the last 9 months my titles have changed and who I am is being defined all over again. This seems to be the conversation I am continually having with myself. Who am I? I was a wife, mother, teacher, daughter and so on. It was pretty clear who I was and what I was doing with my life. Now I am a widow, mother, daughter, but who am I? I have come to a place in which I have decided to figure out who I am and what my role is now. Being with Eric for 25 years left us as one person, which was easy and wonderful. Now I need to define who I am as a single person a person who has to make decisions and be an independent thinker. I don't feel that I need to do this for some societal necessity but for Hunter and myself. This part of my growing while grieving is a positive step and I am looking forward to redefining who I am and what the rest of my life will look like.
Thank you to those who will be a part of my growing and redefining who I am.

Love,
Hallie


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Titles don't define us Hallie and I can honestly say I no longer have one for myself, except maybe human. I suggest reading "A New Earth" by Ekhart Tolle. It will help you in evolving into the "new you". And whoever that is, I know she will be just as wonderful as the "old you"...Love you!!
Kim

Anonymous said...

I found I was a child of God. Nothing else gave me as much comfort, and thus let me also be a mother, a daughter, and a friend.

My dear friend, you are doing a great job. This isn't easy.

I remember wondering why all of the pain and heart ache wouldn't go away. Then I read something in Focus on the Family. Wish I could find it again--but to paraphrase. the pain you are feelinhg now, is because of all the joy and happines you had. If you hadn't had that wonderful life with Eric, the severity of the pain wouldn't be there. So remember--Phil. 4:13--I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Let God help you through this--as well as all of the friens you have.
Love, LCS

Chris Kubas said...

Hallie, you may not remember me, however we have met before, I was the Recruit Chief of the 94th Fire Academy with Eric, my name is Chris Kubas. I first would like to extend my heart felt sorrow to you and your son for the loss of Eric, he is a great man and still is a friend and I enjoyed my time with him at the academy. It is just by chance that I came across news of Erics passing while looking at a facebook page, you see I too am a firefighter, however I live in Georgia so I do not always hear news from CA. Please feel free to contact me anytime and again I am sorry for your time with Eric having to be ended so soon. Take care.
Chris Kubas
cjkubas@hotmail.com